MichCummings

MichCummings

Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3) - Faith Hunter This is my favorite book in the series so far. While I enjoyed the first two books, this is the first one that grabbed me and kept me reading all day long, even when I had something better to do.

Jane Yellowrock is a vampire killer/PI who works for the vampire council in New Orleans. And this is the part that I actually don't like about the series. I don't get why she sticks around working for them, because they are constantly putting her life in danger, and it seems that there are other people out there who would want her services.

Anyway, in this book the other were-animals are coming out to society, except for Jane, who is a skinwalker that no one knows about, and she believes that she may be the last of her kind. While her boss Leo Pellesier is making nice with the were-cats of Africa, the werewolves come to town and try to make trouble. The plot becomes very convoluted, but all becomes clear in the end. I liked the introduction of a new character, the Mercy Blade, and learning about a new type of supernatural being.

I have not been a huge fan of Jane's relationship with her boyfriend, Rick, who is a cop with NOPD. I was rather happy that he went undercover for most of the story, which let in the opportunity for some hot scenes with Leo's second in command, Bruiser. I didn't quite get Jane's angst over this, since she was pretty sure Rick was cheating on her undercover. Also, her religious angst over pre-marital sex seems wrong to me, since she kills people/vampires/were animals for her job. But I guess we all have our quirks.

The book was heading toward a rather dark ending, and while not happy about that, it seemed to fit with the overall story arc. I was surprised about the ending, and while not a cliffhanger, I am eager to see what happens next.