MichCummings

MichCummings

Fate's Edge - Ilona Andrews This was really a 4 1/2 star book for me. I loved the writing, the characters, the continuity of world building from the first two edge books. I enjoyed the con man world, and the fact that the heroine, Audrey, was a former grifter trying to make it as a private detective. I also really enjoyed the hero, Kaldar, who previously appeared in Bayou Moon, who is trying to retrieve an artifact actually stolen by Audrey and her family. I loved the flirting, and I really liked why Audrey turned Kaldar down, when he really propositioned her. The subsequent adventure was a fun and exciting ride, and I enjoyed the re-introduction of the teenagers Jack and George.

So why not 5 stars? First of all, I really enjoy all of Ilona Andrews works (Kate Daniels, Silver Shark and the Edge) so this is really nitpicky, but there were two major battles that I thought were weak. Even though Audrey is not a sword fighter (a la Kate Daniels) but is instead a superb lock picker, every time there was a major fight, we don't really get a feel for the action. It was more like, there's a big fight and we won. It was a minor irritant during the church battle, but really bothered me after the battle with Helena (who skins people alive, but we don't really see why she was defeated).