MichCummings

MichCummings

The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) - Meljean Brook Still a 5 star read, the second through. Apparently, I didn't write a review the first time I read this, but it was my favorite book of 2010. The author's worldbuilding is phenomenal. In this steampunk universe, the Mongol Horde invaded Europe all the way to England. The didn't have a navy, so they put nanotechnology into the tea and sugar that they traded with England and after enough had been consumed, they used radio to send signals that controlled the English, and they were able to take over the country. Fast forward 200 years, and the English have been rescued by the Iron Duke (a former pirate), when he destroyed the tower that controlled all the Englishmen, freeing them from horde control. The story centers around Mina, a police detective, and the Iron Duke as they track the killer of a person dumped on the Iron Duke's front door step.

What I enjoyed most was the intricate worldbuilding, and backstory of the mongol invasion and control of the English. The technology that was created to expand upon the nanotechs inside the English. And then the aftermath when the tower was destroyed. I also loved the growth of the relationship between Mina and the Iron Duke.