MichCummings

MichCummings

The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan #3) - Kelly Gay This was almost going to be a 5 star review until I got near the end. (more on that later).

I love the world that Kelly Gay has created, I love the pacing in the story (I never feel like I need to skip past anything) and I love Charlie Madigan, her daughter Emma, her sister Bryn, her partner Hank and her pseudo ex-husband Rex. If you haven't read the first two books in the series, get them now.

In this installment, Charlie is trying to deal with the fact that her sister may be possessed, and we learn about Sylphs, there is a trip to Charybdon, and we learn alot about Hank's backstory. I love the developing relationship between Charlie and Hank, as well as the mythological creatures that populate these books - Jinn and sirens and nymphs and sylphs. Not your standard paranormal creatures.

***********Mini spoiler alert about what I did not like.*****************

The reason I knocked this down to 4 stars is that I didn't like how the author forced Charlie to choose between her sister and Hank. I get that this is a plot device, which allows Charlie to visit Elysia, and we all hope rescue him, from his matrix-like situation. And I know that she really could make no other choice but rescue her sister, but I still don't like it. I'm not criticizing how the author chose to writer her story, because it is hers, just expressing my frustration!