MichCummings

MichCummings

Voodoo Dues (Lian and Figg #1) - Stephany Simmons This was a fun, quick read. The story alternates viewpoints between Lian (an male anthropologist bar-owner) and Figg (his female employee).

It turns out that there is not much activity at the bar, except for a parade of psychics who show up periodically. It turns out that Lian is an expert on the paranormal, and recovering from an attack. After a voodoo queen pays him a visit, Lian and Figg are drawn into tracking down her grandsons killer.

What I especially liked about this story is that Figg has no experience with the paranormal, so she wants to deal with the creatures via what she is familiar with - guns and the police department - and that while she has a heart and wants to help those in need, she's not stupid about it. And Lian, who is nursing some wounds, also acts in character for his situation.

There is a companion piece, essentially a deleted chapter, which I found very enjoyable, but really short. And that is my only complaint about this story - it was too short!