MichCummings

MichCummings

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness This was the best book I've read in a very long time. I would classify it as a cross between the DaVinci Code, Foucault's Pendulum , The Time Traveler's Wife, and any contemporary urban fantasy. Before I wrote this review, I read through other people's reviews, which frankly I'm glad I did not do before I read the book. While I usually cruise through books I love (don't do the laundry, make my kids make their own dinner) I actually found myself slowing my reading down with this book. I found the prose lyrical, and I wanted to savor it slowly. The plot pacing was slow at times, but that did not bother me at all. In fact, it made me slow down with it. One of the many criticisms that I read of this book, was that the relationship between Diana and Matthew was not consummated immediately. While I may have had a personal preference for reading about some hot sex, it actually fit the story being told to not have that happen.

As opposed to most urban fantasy these days, our heroine is not a kick-ass private detective. She cries alot, and doesn't know how to use her innate magic. She's a historian, and frankly acts like I think a historian would act. Her beau, Matthew is a 1500 vampire/warrior/scientist. He does act like a cave-vampire sometimes, but that is who he is. I loved the history, the science, and the vampire/witch lore woven into the story, and cannot wait for the sequel.