MichCummings

MichCummings

Iron Crowned - Richelle Mead I love the worlds that Richelle Mead creates. That being said, this book really frustrated me. I know it's the middle of an ongoing series, so we can't have resolution. And I will have a hard time writing any kind of review without major spoilers, but I will try.

Eugenie Markham is half human/half gentry (fae). In the human world she is a shaman, banishing otherworldy beings back to where they came from. In the otherworld, she is the Queen of the Thorn Lands. She (or her half-sister) is also the subject of a prophecy that she will give birth to a son that will destroy the human race. I happen to love those kind of storylines, because I wonder how much of fate can be changed, and if something is fated to happen, can you really, truly avoid it.

Because Eugenie flits between both worlds, I didn't get a real satisfying submersion in either world. There was a quest for the Iron Crown, which didn't seem to be well enough developed for me. And I personally dislike what is happening with her love life, although it certainly was hot! (I know I don't get a say in who she ends up with, but I have a preference!)

I am still invested in this world, and while the ending wasn't really a cliffhanger, it definitely makes me need to read the next book in the series as soon as it is available.