MichCummings

MichCummings

The Better Part of Darkness - Kelly Gay This a 4 1/2 star book for me, and I almost gave it 5, because I really enjoyed it that much, and on so many different levels.

Our heroine, Charlie, is a police detective, in Atlanta, on a special task force that deals with the interaction between earth and 2 off-world species Elysians and Charbydons (I kept wondering if that should have been Charybdon, but anyway...) A mysterious drug makes its appearance, putting its users in a coma. As some other reviewers have pointed out, this was pretty much a cut and dried mystery, but I don't read urban fantasy for just the mystery itself. There is also the world building. Charlie's partner is a siren from Elysian, her sister is a mage, and we meet some good and bad characters from Charbydon. This group comes together to help Charlie in the end, and it did feel a little like a Scooby Gang, but in a good way. I really liked how Charlie needed their help - she couldn't do everything on her own. And I also really liked how she had to struggle with figuring out her own new found powers, from when she died 8 months ago and was brought back to life.

I enjoyed hearing about her personal life - she is recently divorced, but still attracted to her ex, and she has an 11 year old daughter, who she loves fiercely, and protectively. And she realizes that being a cop may not be the best career for a single mom. I also thought that her jealously of her partners new love interest was believable. She's not sure that she wants him, but she's not sure she doesn't.

The only thing that I didn't see coming was when her husband died, and had apparently sold his soul to a revenant to get her back.

Other reviewers have complained about how the secondary characters don't have alot of depth to them, or that we don't get enough backstory on Charlies death, but I think that just gives the series room to grow. Can't wait to keep reading the series!